PRIME is WorkplaceNL’s employer incentive program. Through PRIME, employers can lower their assessment rates by meeting the PRIME practice requirements and managing claim costs through early and safe return-to-work programs.
Under PRIME, employers can receive two types of financial incentives.
- PRIME Practice Incentive: Employers may receive a 5 per cent practice refund on their average annual assessments by having good OHS and return-to-work programs in place.
- PRIME Experience Incentive: Employers who manage their claims costs through early and safe return-to-work programs can receive an experience refund, while employers with high claim costs may receive an experience charge. You must first qualify for a practice refund to be considered for an experience refund. However, employers will always be subject to experience charges if applicable.
Submit your annual employer statements to WorkplaceNL online through connect by February 28 each year to be eligible for a PRIME refund.
Based on your Employer Category, your OHS and return-to-work requirements for the PRIME Program are:
*The four Employer Categories are:
- No Committee or Representative Required (NCRR) Employer: At each worksite you employ less than two workers and you pay less than $48,000 in average assessments
- Small Employer: At each worksite you employ less than 10 workers and you pay less than $48,000 in average assessments
- Medium Employer: At one or more worksites you employ 10 or more workers and you pay less than $48,000 in average assessments
- Large Employer: At one or more worksites you employ 10 or more workers and you pay $48,000 or more in average assessments
The number of workers at each site includes all managers, non-managers and owners or operators.
Certificate of Recognition (COR)
The Newfoundland and Labrador Construction Safety Association (NLCSA) administers the Certificate of Recognition (CORTM) program, an industry-specific OHS program. Companies that fall within a construction Newfoundland Industrial Classification (NIC) code are required to be CORTM certified with a letter of good standing to qualify for refunds under PRIME.
You are a construction employer if your NIC code is classified between 4011 and 4499, or 4591.
For more information about the CORTM program please contact the NLCSA at 1-888-681-SAFE (7233) or visit www.nlcsa.com.