The PRIME Program is Changing in 2023 for smaller employers
In an effort to help employers better understand their Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements, WorkplaceNL is making changes to the PRIME incentive program.
Beginning January 2023, employers with less than $10,000 in average assessments and nine workers or less at each worksite (fewer than 20 workers for federal worksites) will be considered Path 1 employers.
Path 1 will help smaller employers improve their safety performance by providing education on OHS responsibilities and the importance of effective return-to-work programs.
Smaller employers in the construction industry must continue to be CORTM certified and will not be considered Path 1.
By Dec 31, 2023, Path 1 Employers will be required to:
- Have a trained Worker Health and Safety Representative or Designate in place.
- Employers must complete the Worker Health and Safety Representative/Designate certification.
- You can find a list of courses on the Certification Training Registry (CTR).
- Complete PRIME education course(s) as outlined by WorkplaceNL
- At least one individual will need to complete WorkplaceNL’s Return-to-Work course for the 2023 PRIME year.
- This course will be available through the CTR beginning January 2023.
- In 2024 and 2025, employers will be required to complete two courses each year and maintain Worker Health and Safety Representative or Designate Certification.
- There will be no costs associated with these courses.
To qualify for your PRIME rebate, Path 1 employers will need to complete these three steps:
- Claim your network.
- Complete the required training.
- Submit your Annual Employer Statement by February 28 each year.
Note: PRIME’s financial incentives will remain the same and organizations must still pass the Practice requirements to receive the experience refund, if eligible.
Claim your network in the CTR
To prepare for these changes, employers are encouraged to claim their network on the CTR. Claiming your network will help employers manage their workplace training requirements and view worker completion records. To learn more, view our How-to Guide.
Changes for other employer groups will be coming in 2024 and 2025.
A summary of the changes planned for the entire program is outlined in the road map below: