Musculoskeletal Injury Prevention (MSIP) Week is September 22-28, 2019.
• Musculoskeletal injuries (MSI) are disorders of the muscles, tendons, nerves and related soft tissues. They include sprains, strains and inflammation that may be caused or aggravated by work.
• The goal for MSIP week is to raise awareness of the impact of these injuries and provide practical solutions to prevent them. This focus is crucial given the frequency of MSI injuries in the province. MSIs account for the majority of the province’s lost time claims, accounting for on average 68% of all injuries in the last five years.
• WorkplaceNL marks MSIP Week by organizing MSI awareness and prevention activities for its employees. We encourage other organizations to do the same.
• This year’s theme, ‘Start the Conversation…MSI’ is about encouraging workplaces to talk about preventing MSIs. The conversation should be happening at all levels of the organization on a regular basis.
- Preparing for MSIP Week
Wednesday, September 11, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Tips for a Healthy Work Day
Monday, September 23, 10-11:30 a.m.
- MSI Risk Factors
Thursday, September 26, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Preventing Soft Tissue Injuries in the Health Services Sector
Friday, October 4, 10-11:30 a.m.
How can your workplace start the conversation?
• Invite senior management to provide opening remarks at MSIP Week kick-off
• Promote WorkplaceNL’s MSI webinars in your workplace
• Conduct MSI awareness sessions with employees
• Plan a workplace walk-through to conduct Q&A sessions on MSI prevention and ergonomics.
• Encourage employees to take regular microbreaks
• Encourage twice-daily (morning and afternoon) group stretch activities
• Sponsor a healthy breakfast or snack for employees promoting healthy lifestyles and nutrition.
• Organize a team fitness challenge.
• Arrange an employee wellness presentation by a local health official, such as:
– Occupational therapist
– Occupational therapist
– Athletic therapist
– Wellness coach
– Massage therapist
• Plan a workplace inspection and ensure MSI hazards are built into your inspection checklist.
• Host a staff lunch-and-learn or toolbox talk.
• Create a “How do YOU prevent MSIs?” board and have employees post messages throughout the week.
• Plan a wellness walk.
• Create daily MSI prevention tips to share with employees.
• Organize a healthy workplace day.
• Watch “How to Adjust Your Chair” with employees.
• Invite a guest speaker to discuss ergonomics.
• Encourage employees to participate in physical activities; for example:
– Team pedometer challenge
– Group wellness walk or run
– Yoga or Pilates class
• Hold an ergonomics/MSI trivia contest.
• Conduct an MSI hazard hunt.
• Send MSI prevention messages via email or newsletter.
• Host an OHS Committee meeting during MSIP week with a highlight on preventing MSIs.
• Encourage using the stairs instead of the elevator and post ergonomics-related messages in stairwells.
• Host a healthy potluck/recipe-sharing event focused on healthy go-to recipes that are practical to prepare for a workday.
The Institute for Work & Health is conducting an online survey about strategies for MSI prevention programs and practices in the workplace as part of their research study, Musculoskeletal injury (MSI) prevention: a practical implementation guide for Newfoundland and Labrador.
Funded by WorkplaceNL, this study is aimed at developing a free, easy-to-use resource to help workplaces in Newfoundland and Labrador prevent MSIs and resulting disabilities.
The survey takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. At the end of the survey, you will be asked if you wish to participate in a voluntary follow-up interview. Additionally, you will find a link at the end of the survey to MSI/support resources that may be of benefit to you.
Click here for MSI resources.