Last revised: September 13, 2022
The following terms and conditions govern your use of MyWorkplaceNL, one of WorkplaceNL’s online portals. Please review these terms and conditions carefully prior to acceptance. If you do not agree to these terms, you will continue to have access to information and services from WorkplaceNL through other means (e.g., phone, fax or mail).
MyWorkplaceNL facilitates information sharing between the users of MyWorkplaceNL and WorkplaceNL. MyWorkplaceNL supports compliance with Occupational Health and Safety and Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation legislation.
The following rules govern your ability to access MyWorkplaceNL:
- Any breach of these terms and conditions may result in termination of your access to MyWorkplaceNL.
- Each user will create a username and password to access MyWorkplaceNL. Both shall be kept strictly confidential and are not to be shared with any other individual, including other authorized users. WorkplaceNL will have a record of usernames but not passwords.
- WorkplaceNL is not responsible for inappropriate access, use or disclosure of information contained in MyWorkplaceNL, by any user granted access to MyWorkplaceNL by an account holder.
Access to personal information
Services within MyWorkplaceNL may contain personal and confidential information that is protected by federal and provincial privacy laws. WorkplaceNL recognizes the sensitive nature of this information and seeks to protect the privacy rights of all individuals WorkplaceNL holds personal information about. Any access, use, dissemination or disclosure of the information in a manner contrary to federal and provincial privacy laws constitutes an offence punishable by fine, imprisonment or both.
MyWorkplaceNL will send automated email messages to users via the email address submitted during the registration process. This type of email communication is required for all portal users and will not be used to share any confidential or private claim-related information. If you do not wish to receive these email communications, you will be required to communicate with WorkplaceNL using phone, fax or mail.
A variety of security features are in place to provide a safe and secure environment for users interacting with MyWorkplaceNL:
- All MyWorkplaceNL activities may be audited by WorkplaceNL to monitor compliance.
- WorkplaceNL maintains complete control of all accounts and may revoke user access at any time.
- MyWorkplaceNL uses an encryption method known as SSL/TLS (Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security), which is the industry standard security protocol. Encryption is the process of scrambling data into an unreadable format that is more secure for transmission over the internet. SSL/TLS first verifies the secure website with an electronic certificate. It then provides a secure connection to protect information from interception and misuse. Information is encrypted at the originating computer and not de-encrypted until it reaches its destination.
- MyWorkplaceNL will only accept transactions from a user who has at least a 128-bit level of encryption on their Internet browser (e.g., Microsoft Internet Explorer or Google Chrome). To determine the level of encryption of your browser, see the section below called “Determining your encryption level.”
- Once WorkplaceNL receives a transaction request, information is maintained on a segregated server, protected by a firewall. Firewalls protect the server from external security threats.
- WorkplaceNL performs regular security assessments on its websites to keep security policies current. WorkplaceNL will upgrade its computer environment to keep pace with emerging technologies.
- WorkplaceNL temporarily stores information on highly secure cloud-based servers located in Canada.
- Multi-factor authentication is available for users as an additional layer of security should they choose to enable it.
Determining your encryption level:
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Google Chrome send and receive encrypted information over a secure internet link. WorkplaceNL enforces 128-bit encryption, the highest level of encryption available today. You can check your browser’s level of encryption by following the steps below. This process may vary depending on the version of browser you have installed.
- Internet Explorer: While on MyWorkplaceNL, click on the padlock icon located on the right-hand side of the address bar. Select “View Certificate.” The signature and bit strength indicate the level of encryption.
- Chrome: While on MyWorkplaceNL, click on the padlock icon located on the left-hand side of the address bar. Select “Certificate.” The signature and bit strength indicate the level of encryption.
Confirming your computer is communicating with an SSL/TLS secure server:
Browsers in secure mode will display a website address beginning with “https://”, rather than the standard “http://”. The “s” stands for “secure”. When the browser is in secure mode a padlock symbol will also appear in the website address bar.
Ensuring safety and security:
Every effort is made to ensure the safety and integrity of MyWorkplaceNL. Although unlikely, it is technically possible that encrypted data sent over the Internet can be accessed. Consequently, WorkplaceNL cannot guarantee information sent over the Internet will be totally free of unauthorized interception. Therefore, WorkplaceNL shall not be liable for any losses incurred due to misuse of information. WorkplaceNL is only responsible for information once it is received at WorkplaceNL.
You are solely responsible and accountable for protecting the security of your account. If you have any reason to believe that unauthorized access to your account has occurred, you must immediately notify WorkplaceNL and provide any and all information relevant to the incident(s) in question.
In some circumstances, WorkplaceNL may send email notifications when updates or new information are available on MyWorkplaceNL. It is the user’s responsibility to retrieve the information from MyWorkplaceNL. Although we may use email to provide notifications, we cannot guarantee the security of standard email services and recommend transmitting sensitive, confidential, privileged or personal information using phone, fax or mail.
You agree not to upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any information that is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, torturous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or generally unlawful.
Collection of personal information:
WorkplaceNL recognizes and seeks to protect the privacy rights of any authorized user of MyWorkplaceNL. Personal information is collected in accordance with the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act (the Act), the Access to Information and Protection ofPrivacy Act, 2015 (ATIPPA, 2015) and the Personal Health Information Act (PHIA). WorkplaceNL only collects the required information from users for registration and to administer MyWorkplaceNL. All users will be required to provide their first name, initial, last name and email. Additionally, Injured Workers will be required to provide their MCP and date of birth. Occupational Rehabilitation Providers will be required to provide clinic name and vendor number or licensed practitioner number.
This information may also be used or disclosed to track unauthorized access to MyWorkplaceNL. By providing WorkplaceNL with this information, the user is consenting to its collection, use and disclosure consistent with these purposes.
Consent to use personal information on forms, documents or requests:
WorkplaceNL may collect personal information when a user completes and submits forms, documents or requests via MyWorkplaceNL. By completing and transmitting a form, document or request, you are consenting to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information contained in it for the purpose it was obtained, or for a use consistent with that purpose.
Personal information contained in these forms, documents or requests may be used and disclosed where permitted or required by law and where it is in accordance with the Act, ATIPPA, 2015 and PHIA.
If the personal information provided belongs to a third party and you are not legally authorized to provide it, you must obtain the consent of the third party before you give the information to WorkplaceNL.
MyWorkplaceNL may send automated email messages to users via the email address submitted during the registration process. This type of email communication is required for all portal users and will not be used to share any confidential or private claim-related information. If you do not wish to receive these email communications, you will be required to communicate with WorkplaceNL using phone, fax or mail.
Collection of information on the web server:
WorkplaceNL web servers automatically collect and log some information about your computer and your visits to our website. This information may include:
- Internet Protocol address
- Domain name
- Date and time of your visit
- Web pages or services accessed in MyWorkplaceNL
WorkplaceNL uses this information for statistical purposes to understand what services are being used and to identify problems in the system. This information is not linked to other data in a way that would enable WorkplaceNL to identify individual visitors with the exception of identifying interference or unauthorized access to MyWorkplaceNL. WorkplaceNL web servers use session IDs, which expire when the user closes the browser. Session IDs do not contain any personally identifying information. If you disable these IDs, MyWorkplaceNL may not work for you.
Consent to collect, use and disclose personal information:
By accessing MyWorkplaceNL, you are agreeing to the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information noted above for the purposes stated or for a use consistent with these purposes.
Retention of information:
WorkplaceNL is not responsible for the records retention requirements of MyWorkplaceNL users. You are responsible for storing and retaining your information in an appropriate manner for the required time.
MyWorkplaceNL content is owned by WorkplaceNL and protected by copyright law. Copying, republishing or reproducing this material in whole or in part is expressly forbidden without specific consent from WorkplaceNL.
All WorkplaceNL trademarks appearing in MyWorkplaceNL belong to WorkplaceNL. Use of these trademarks is prohibited without the prior written permission of WorkplaceNL. All other product and company names mentioned on MyWorkplaceNL are the trademarks of their respective owners. Permission to use these trademarks must come from their owners.
Disclaimer and limitation on liability
In no event shall WorkplaceNL be liable for damages of any type resulting from any cause whatsoever, whether arising in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, in relation to using, delivering, or relying upon MyWorkplaceNL. For example, WorkplaceNL disclaims all liability relating to:
- Matters outside WorkplaceNL control, including availability or unavailability of the internet, telecommunications or other infrastructure systems.
- Availability or unavailability of the Internet, telecommunications or other infrastructure systems due to systems maintenance by WorkplaceNL.
- Availability or unavailability of MyWorkplaceNL.
- Illegal or fraudulent use of MyWorkplaceNL.
- Loss or damages suffered as a result of unauthorized access to MyWorkplaceNL through a user’s system.
- Loss or damages suffered as a result of any collection, use, disclosure or retention of personal information in MyWorkplaceNL.
- Loss or damages suffered as a result of incomplete, inaccurate or corrupt data provided by a user of MyWorkplaceNL.
If you make an unauthorized attempt to access or modify computer system information or interfere with normal system operations, WorkplaceNL may suspend or terminate your user access to MyWorkplaceNL. WorkplaceNL may also take legal action against you. WorkplaceNL shall pursue an action in fraud against any user where WorkplaceNL believes that a fraud against WorkplaceNL has occurred.
Information you send to WorkplaceNL will only have legal effect after it has been received and is accessible to WorkplaceNL.
If you receive information from WorkplaceNL through MyWorkplaceNL and suspect it is incomplete, inaccurate or corrupted, you must notify WorkplaceNL and request clarification. Do not rely upon the information until you receive clarification.
If WorkplaceNL notifies you that information you sent is incomplete, inaccurate or corrupted, you must take corrective action as may be reasonably required. The information contained on MyWorkplaceNL does not replace the Act, regulations and policy manuals. In the case of a discrepancy between the information contained on MyWorkplaceNL and the Act, regulations or policies, the Act, regulations or policies shall govern.
External service providers
WorkplaceNL may use external service providers to operate and administer MyWorkplaceNL. Such service providers enter into agreements with WorkplaceNL wherein they agree to deal with personal information in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
Live Chat sessions will not be recorded or retained by WorkplaceNL. The chat record will be deleted upon closing the chat window. Chat records or transcripts will not be documented on a claim file.
All communications using live chat shall take place in a respectful, polite and professional manner and not contain offensive, legally objectionable content. Failure to adhere to this condition may result in deactivation of your account by WorkplaceNL, in its sole discretion, without notice.
A user may deactivate their MyWorkplaceNL account at any time by submitting a request in writing to email@example.com. Once received, it may take up to two business days for the request to be completed and the account to be deactivated.
Data, Telecommunications, and Other Charges
Your use of the MyWorkplaceNL online portal may result in you incurring data, internet, or other charges, including any charges related to the downloading of the authenticator app should you choose to enable multi-factor authentication. Any such charges are solely your responsibility.
WorkplaceNL may revise these terms and conditions at any time. All users of MyWorkplaceNL will have to accept the updated conditions on their next sign-in and will be bound by the conditions for their continued use of MyWorkplaceNL.
If you have any questions or require additional information on our privacy practices, please contact WorkplaceNL at 709.778.1000 or toll free at 1.800.563.9000.
Address any privacy concerns related to WorkplaceNL in writing to:
WorkplaceNL Chief Privacy Officer
146-148 Forest Road
P.O. Box 9000
St. John’s, NL