When you are required to attend an appointment or treatment, outside your home community, WorkplaceNL will accept responsibility for the payment of your travel costs, including any necessary overnight accommodations, in accordance with the following guidelines:
Reimbursement method of travel
- You will be reimbursed expenses based on the most economical means of travel available. This usually means bus.
- If there is no public transportation in your area, you will be reimbursed for travel required to get you to the nearest connecting point for public transportation. Reimbursement will be made in accordance with government’s automobile reimbursement rates applicable on the date of travel.
- WorkplaceNL will pay for transportation costs only if you are required to visit WorkplaceNL’s office at WorkplaceNL’s request.
- Trips by ambulance or travel attendant/ companion require prior authority of WorkplaceNL except under emergency circumstances.
- All trips must be medically confirmed.
- Trips to a General Practitioner/Health Care Provider outside your community will only be covered if there is no General Practitioner/ Health Care Provider available in your home community. Travel will be paid to the nearest service provider.
- Generally, only one trip will be paid per day.
- All areas
Reimbursement of $25.00 per day, if staying with relatives or friends. (No receipt necessary).
- Commercial Establishments (e.g. hotels, motels, etc.)
Reimbursement of commercial establishment costs will be based on minimum rates for the geographic location and availability. Receipts are required.
WorkplaceNL will consider reimbursement on the basis of $8.00 for breakfast, $13.20 for lunch, and $21.70 for dinner. Meal allowances can be paid where the distance traveled exceeds 200 kilometres return.
Labour Market Re-entry (LMR) Travel
WorkplaceNL will reimburse necessary and appropriate travel and parking expenses (excluding parking tickets) incurred during a labour market re-entry assessment or plan. Reimbursement will be made in accordance with the government’s automobile reimbursement rates applicable on the date of travel, to a maximum of $190 per week.
For further information please contact WorkplaceNL.