Employer Registration Application Instructions

WorkplaceNL Registration for Employers

The Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act, 2022 (the Act) requires all employers performing work in Newfoundland and Labrador to register with WorkplaceNL.

An employer is a person or entity engaged in business in Newfoundland and Labrador. The employer may be a sole proprietor, partnership, corporation, municipality, association, society or any entity employing workers. A worker includes: full-time, part-time and casual workers. Directors of incorporated companies are also considered workers under the Act. Registration is also required where a business (the principal) sub-contracts work in the province, even if the business itself has no direct workers in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Incorporated entities
All incorporated entities operating in Newfoundland and Labrador must register with WorkplaceNL. Coverage is mandatory for all workers, including the owner, directors, or managers, even if the owner is the only worker.

Non-incorporated entities
A non-incorporated entity is not required to register if the only workers are the proprietor or partners. However, as soon as a non-incorporated entity hires a worker or sub-contracts work in this province, they must register. If the owners of a non-incorporated entity wish to be covered, they may voluntarily apply for optional personal coverage.

Section A – Business Information

Legal name of business
Enter the legal name of the firm. If the firm is incorporated, the legal name is the name that appears on the Articles of Incorporation. If the firm is not incorporated enter the full legal name(s) of the proprietor or partners.

Trade name
The trade name may be the same as the legal name or it may be a different name under which the business operates and is identified by.

Business type
Select whether the firm is a Corporation, Proprietorship or Partnership. If none of these apply, select other.

For Corporations/Incorporated Associations
If your firm is incorporated, provide the incorporation number and date as it appears on the Articles of Incorporation.

Business start date
Enter the date your business started or will start operations in Newfoundland and Labrador.

CRA business number
Enter the first nine digits of your firm’s CRA program account number (if applicable).

Section B – Description of Business

Describe the type of work conducted by your firm in Newfoundland and Labrador and provide examples of the types of products and services offered. For assessment purposes, employers are classified by the industry in which they are operating. As a result, the description of business you provide is critical in ensuring your firm is appropriately classified and paying the correct amount of assessments.

Section C – Business Contact Information

Enter the business contact information and mailing address for all assessment related information (e.g. invoices statements, etc.)

Section D – Owner/Director Information

Click the Add button to enter the contact details of proprietors, partners and directors. The mailing address provided should be the home mailing address of the proprietor, partners or director(s). If the firm is incorporated, attach a copy of the Notice of Directors.

Section E – Payroll Information

Provide an estimate of your workers’ gross wages for the current year and provide the actual gross wages paid in prior years. If your firm is incorporated, you must include the gross wages for all directors and active shareholders.

If your business is not incorporated, do not include money paid to the proprietor or partners of the business. This remuneration is not assessable since coverage for proprietors or partners of non-incorporated businesses is not mandatory under the Act. If these individuals wish to be covered, they can apply for optional personal coverage by contacting WorkplaceNL.

Below are some examples of the types of remuneration that must be reported:

  • Gross salary, overtime and retroactive pay increases
  • Vacation pay, work-related and discretionary bonuses and tips and gratuities reported on T4 statements
  • Commissions
  • Gifts and education allowances

Generally, all taxable benefits are assessable. For more information, consult our Fact Sheet – Assessable Earnings at workplacenl.ca/employers/resources/ or contact WorkplaceNL.

Please note that WorkplaceNL only insures payroll to a maximum annual amount per worker. This amount is referred to as the maximum assessable earnings. The maximum assessable earnings per worker are set each year according to the Consumer Price Index (CPI). When reporting your payroll information in this section, you do not need to include the amount above the maximum for an individual worker.

Listed below are maximum assessable earnings per worker for the years 2019-2024.

  • 2019: $65,600
  • 2020: $66,980
  • 2021: $67,985
  • 2022: $69,005
  • 2023: $72,870
  • 2024: $76,955

Section F – Contractors/Subcontractors

Indicate whether you hired contractors/subcontractors last year and whether you intend to hire them in the current year.

If you hired contractors/subcontractors last year, you are required to report them. Click the Add button to enter each contractor.

If a contractor/subcontractor is not in good standing with WorkplaceNL, you may be liable for paying any assessments that the contractor/subcontractor owes to WorkplaceNL and the cost of injury in the event of an accident.

To avoid responsibility for assessments and injuries of contractors/subcontractors and their workers, you should request clearance on all contractors/subcontractors who work for you. A clearance confirms that the contractor/subcontractor is in good standing with WorkplaceNL (meaning the firm is registered and has an up-to-date account).

Section G – Previous Registration/Affiliated Firms

If this firm has been previously registered with WorkplaceNL, provide the name and firm number.

If you are taking over an existing business, provide the previous owner’s name and firm number (if known).

If your firm is associated/affiliated with another firm, provide the name of the related/affiliated firm. Firms are affiliated when they have common ownership, management, or control.

Section H – Claim Cost Contact

WorkplaceNL produces a monthly report for employers who have claim costs and who have requested access to their claim cost information. Due to the confidential nature of the costs associated with injured workers’ claims, employers must designate a person with whom claim cost reports can be communicated. WorkplaceNL will not release or discuss claim cost information if this contact person is not provided.

Section I – Workplace Locations

A permanent workplace is a site where at least one person is engaged in work and the site is intended to continue for 30 days or more (this includes new construction or industrial projects).

Click the Add button to enter the required information for each permanent workplace.

The total number of workers per workplace location should state the maximum number of workers that were at the location for greater than 30 days per calendar year. This would include full-time, part-time, casual, and contract positions. Do not include directors, proprietors, or partners in this number.

Regulation Type


OH&S laws impose minimum conditions on all workplaces to ensure workers are provided with a safe and healthy work environment. Provincially regulated employers are governed by the province’s Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.


Federal laws regulate certain industries in the province including all federal government crown agencies, transportation (by air, water and road), telecommunications (radio, TV, cable, telephone), airports, shipping, and banks. Federally regulated employers are governed by the Canada Labour Code Part II.


The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board regulates the offshore oil and gas industry off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. The CNLOPB administers the Atlantic Accord implementation Act and subordinate legislation regarding the safety of operations in the province’s offshore.

If you are unsure of the regulations governing your firm, contact the numbers for the different regulatory bodies as follows: Provincial: 709.729.2706 Federal: 1.800.641.4049 CNLOPB: 709.778.1400.

If more than one OH&S statute applies to your workplace, indicate the legislation that takes precedence for establishing health and safety committees and representatives in your workplace.

Section J – WorkplaceNL connect

MyWorkplaceNL connect online services enables employers to manage various aspects of your business’s account electronically.

One individual is designated to be your Employer Administrator and they must be a member of your business, not a third party.

This person will automatically have access to all online services. They will also manage access rights to online services for all users in your business (creating user accounts, assigning/revoking privileges, etc.).

Once your connect account has been processed, we will contact you and provide you with your username and password. When you log on to connect for the first time, you will be prompted to review the Terms of Use. The Terms of Use set out the obligations of your business and each of its users with respect to using connect.

It also includes important information about privacy and confidentiality. It is important that each user review the Terms of Use and become familiar with the conditions under which they will be viewing information prior to using services.

With connect, employers can:

  • View account information, including address, contacts, assessment rates and balances
  • View claims cost information
  • View PRIME information and injury statistics
  • View Annual Assessment Rate Letter
  • Request clearance
  • Manage sub-contractor status lists
  • Report workplace injuries
  • Submit Annual Employer Statements
  • Update payroll estimate
  • Submit Early and Safe Return-to-Work Plans
  • Submit OH&S minutes and manage worksites and committee members 

Section K – Declaration and Consent

Indicate whether you are an owner, director or authorized signing officer of the business. If you are not an owner, director or authorized signing officer, provide your Title and Phone number.