Competition Number: 22 02 03
Employment Type: Permanent
Location: St. John’s, NL
Closing Date: May 26, 2022
Salary Scale: $90,542 – $117,704
Serving approximately 13,000 injured workers and 19,000 employers each year, WorkplaceNL administers an employer-funded, no-fault workplace insurance system that promotes safe and healthy workplaces, provides return-to-work programs and offers fair compensation to injured workers and their dependents. Building on a commitment to excellence in client service, WorkplaceNL in undergoing a multi-year business transformation initiative, which will position the organization for future success. Within this context, we are now seeking our next Director, Finance
We are currently looking for an experienced Director, Finance, to lead our Finance Department. Reporting to the Chief Financial and Information Officer, the Director is accountable for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the delivery of financial services throughout WorkplaceNL, including financial and statistical reporting, investment and asset management, budgeting, cash flow forecasting, purchasing, public tendering, vendor management, building operations, maintenance and security.
More about the role
Some key responsibilities of the Director, Finance include:
- Responsible to lead, direct and oversee the functional areas of the Finance Department ensuring effective internal controls, financial management and oversight. The services provided through the Finance Department can have a significant impact on the outcomes expected by WorkplaceNL related to the strategic goals of client service, claims management and financial sustainability.
- Responsible for managing and overseeing the investments held in the injury fund according to the Board approved policies. Oversees and is accountable for both the daily cash-flow monitoring and management of the short-term borrowing program.
- Formulating policies, procedures, programs and objectives related to investments, funding, accounting, internal control, financial planning, budgeting and planning, capital asset purchases/leases, purchasing, banking, cash flow forecasting and statistical and financial reporting.
- Required to have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards and principles of fiduciary, financial and business value management. The Director, Finance, evaluates the impact of changes in these standards and principles, as well as the impact of actuarial valuations and changes in actuarial assumptions on the benefit liabilities and overall financial condition of WorkplaceNL.
- A university degree in Business Administration as well as a Chartered Professional Accounting designation.
- A minimum of seven years of related financial management experience at a senior level in a public or private organization that provides programs and services to a diverse client group.
- Experience in the management of investment or pension funds would be an asset.
- Strong business acumen, and exceptional interpersonal and communication skills required.
Why work with us
We offer a comprehensive rewards package that includes competitive compensation, group health, dental and vision benefits, as well as a generous paid leave program and enrollment in the Public Service Pension Plan.
Our team members can also take advantage of flexible work arrangements, opportunities for training, growth and career advancement in a safe and welcoming environment.
Please send your resume and cover letter (Microsoft Word or PDF format only) to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the competition title and number in the subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.